Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables

Subject: Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:39:13 +0700
Chris Maden wrote:

> [James Clark]
> > You can handle <TABLE WIDTH="50%"> by using (* (display-size)
> > .5). To handle a column width of 20%, use (table-unit 20), or (* 20
> > (table-unit 1)) if you need fractional percentages.  Note that you
> > can't use (display-size) to calculate percentage column widths
> > yourself. This may not do the right thing when some column widths
> > are percentages and some are pixels; I don't know what semantics
> > HTML specifies for this.
>
> Thanks.  The percentages on the columns are a fraction of the total
> table size, where the table size is either (a) a pixel size; (b) a
> percentage of the former (display-size), or (c) unspecified, in which
> case it is 100% of the former (display-size).
>
> ... but I see your point about columns; there's really no access to
> the (display-size) in the context of the table while *inside* the
> table creating table-columns.  Will (inherited-table-width) work?

I was talking nonsense.  (display-size) on a table-column gives the
display size for the table (ie the same value as if you use
(display-size) on the table).  So by using (display-size) and the width
specified on the table, you should be able to specify an appropriate
width on the table-column.

What you can't do is get access to the table's display size in a
table-cell, since in a table-cell the display size is the width of the
table cell.

James