Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables

Subject: Re: An open challenge: HTML 4.0 tables
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:17:28 -0500
[James Clark]
> You can handle <TABLE WIDTH="50%"> by using (* (display-size)
> .5). To handle a column width of 20%, use (table-unit 20), or (* 20
> (table-unit 1)) if you need fractional percentages.  Note that you
> can't use (display-size) to calculate percentage column widths
> yourself. This may not do the right thing when some column widths
> are percentages and some are pixels; I don't know what semantics
> HTML specifies for this.

Thanks.  The percentages on the columns are a fraction of the total
table size, where the table size is either (a) a pixel size; (b) a
percentage of the former (display-size), or (c) unspecified, in which
case it is 100% of the former (display-size).

... but I see your point about columns; there's really no access to
the (display-size) in the context of the table while *inside* the
table creating table-columns.  Will (inherited-table-width) work?

-Chris