Re: Jade 1.0.1 String trimming?

Subject: Re: Jade 1.0.1 String trimming?
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 07:06:51 -0500
Russell Senior wrote:
> in my top-level element sequence and also converted the
> `process-children' to `process-children-trim', but still my output
> (apparent using each of the TeX, RTF and FOT backends) contains the
> padding space.

process-children-trim works for me:

<!doctype style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style
Sheet//EN">

(element test
	(sosofo-append
		(literal "[BEFORE]")
		(process-children-trim)
		(literal "[AFTER]" )))

---

<!DOCTYPE TEST[
<!ELEMENT TEST O O (#PCDATA|TEST)*>
]>
<TEST>

This is a test

</TEST>

---

[BEFORE]This is a test[AFTER]

Note that process-children-trim only works right if it is applied
directly to the element which contains the whitespace. For example:

<!doctype style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style
Sheet//EN">

(element main
	(sosofo-append
		(literal "[BEFORE]")
		(process-children-trim)
		(literal "[AFTER]" )))

---

<!DOCTYPE MAIN[
<!ELEMENT MAIN O O (TEST+)>
<!ELEMENT TEST O O (#PCDATA)>
]>
<TEST>

This is a test

</TEST>

---
[BEFORE]
This is a test
[AFTER]

input-whitespace-treatment also seems to work for me:

<!doctype style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style
Sheet//EN">

(element main
	(make sequence input-whitespace-treatment: 'collapse
		(literal "[BEFORE]")
		(process-children)
		(literal "[AFTER]" )))

---

\pard\sl-240 \fs20 [BEFORE] This is a test [AFTER]} (in the RTF)

>I notice in the Jade source file `lib/ArcEngine.cxx'

ArcEngine is almost certainly unrelated to what you are doing, unless
you are working with SGML Architectures.

 Paul Prescod