Re: question about spacing around nested display flow object

Subject: Re: question about spacing around nested display flow object
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:47:08 +0100 ( `)
James Clark writes:
 > > areas produced by the flow object" - I read this that the nesting is
 > > effectively flattened and the before/after spaces from the two display
 > > groups are in fact adjacent.
 >
 > That was the intended meaning.

oh *rats*. there goes my entire Sunday evening hacking to make nested
different from adjacent...

so:

 <display> Text
  <display>
   <display>
   inner text
   </display>
  </display>
 </display>

and

 <display> Text
 </display>
 <display>
 </display>
 <display>
 inner text
 </display>

are the same, so far as space-before and space-after are concerned.
If these are set to 10pt for the above, we expect to only get 10pt
between "Text" and "inner text"? the second <display></display> has no
effect? seems, intuitively, wrong?

sorry to harp on about this, but it seriously affects the way things
come out. in JadeTeX, my basic rule is to attach vertical space when
something `real' comes out (ie some text), but I have been doing extra
work to cope with empty display objects - this is incorrect of me?

sebastian