Re: question about spacing around nested display flow object

Subject: Re: question about spacing around nested display flow object
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:23:05 +0700
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> so:
>
>  <display> Text
>   <display>
>    inner text
>    </display>
>
> and
>
>  <display> Text
>  </display>
>  <display>
>  </display>
>  <display>
>  inner text
>  </display>
>
> are the same, so far as space-before and space-after are concerned.

Yes.

> If these are set to 10pt for the above, we expect to only get 10pt
> between "Text" and "inner text"? the second <display></display> has no
> effect?

Yes.

> seems, intuitively, wrong?

Depends what your conceptual model is.  Think of the flow objects as
being formatted to produce chunks of vertical space and lines. The
merging of adjacent chunks of vertical space operates on the results of
formatting the individual flow objects that contribute vertical space.
The original flow object nesting is irrelevant once you've got the
flattened list of chunks of vertical space and lines.

James