RE: pretty printer and PCDATA

Subject: RE: pretty printer and PCDATA
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:02:59 +0200
Hello Stephane,

> > I guess this was adressed in the past, but can't remember
> how or find
> > a solution.
>
> It *seems* you were bitten by the infamous "Significant
> white-space in XML"
> problem, in its "Valid white-space in PCDATA" variant.
>
> >           <nmlist nametype="entity">entity5
> >           </nmlist>
>
> The spaces before the end-tag and the end-of-line after
> "entity5" are legal
> PCDATA and even Jade, which knowns your DTD, cannot find there are
> semantically insignificant.
>
> > Does anyone know of a solution or a workaround ?

The (i think) easiest solution is to define in your dtd:

<!ELEMENT nmlist - - (#PCDATA)>      (NOT (#PCDATA)* !!)
<!ATTLIST nmlist ...>

and have in DSSSL the extra spaces trimmed off:

(element nmlist (process-children-trim))

regards,

pieter

--
Pieter Rijken                          E-mail: pieter.rijken@xxxxxx

CMG Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.
Division Advanced Technology
Nieuwekade 1-19
P.O. Box 8038                 Phone: +31 30 2339300
3503 RA Utrecht               Fax:   +31 30 2339495
The Netherlands

DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor
            does it represent an official position of, CMG
            Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.