Confusion over modes, etc

Subject: Confusion over modes, etc
From: Arien Malec <amalec@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 10:04:36 -0800
I've got a DTD for writing program specifications and documentation.
Documents are structured like this (simplified):

MODULE = NAME, SHORT-DOC, LONG-DOC, FUNCTIONS
FUNCTIONS = FUNCTION*
FUNCTION = NAME, SHORT-DOC, LONG-DOC, PARAMS
PARAMS = PARAM*
PARAM = NAME, TYPE, SHORT-DOC

I'd like the function documentation part of the final paper document to
look something like this:

Function [FUNCTION NAME]
Overview
[FUNCTION SHORT-DOC]
Declaration
function [FUNCTION NAME] ([PARAM NAME] [PARAM TYPE], ...);
Documentation
[FUNCTION LONG-DOC]
Parameters
Parameter [PARAM NAME] [PARAM SHORT-DOC]

In other words, in the middle of processing a function, I process a
function again, in a completely different way. Now, I can produce the
two sorts of documentation (declaration and verbose documentation)
independently. I've tried to use modes to combine the two, but every
attempt so far has been a mess (duplicate stuff all over the place, and
nothing where it should be).

If anyone can point the way, I'd be appreciative.

Arien