Re: QuarkXpress backend for jade

Subject: Re: QuarkXpress backend for jade
From: "Franck DELAHAYE" <franck.delahaye@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 15:33:34 +0100

Sebastian Rahtz a écrit :

> Franck DELAHAYE writes:
>  > The data to be published are stored in an SQL database. SGML/XML is used
>  > to automatically assemble the document structures and contents from the
>  > database, and use an SGML converter like jade.
>  > So the main reason to use a publishing tools afterwords, is to make the
>  > layout final touches.
>
> final touches, yes (float movement etc),
> but inclusion of new elements like tables???
>
>  >  An SGML authoring tool is not in my opinion a good
>  > solution for such things.
>
> then why get involved with DSSSL at all? why not go straight from the
> XML to your publishing tool?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you've understood here and what you
mean.

What I just wanted to say is that the goal of an SGML/XML authoring tool
is not to make the final layout touches that one can only make by hand,
is it ?

>  > But it can also happen that the final document needs to be customized
>  > for a particular customer, by adding a few texts tables graphics by
>  > hand, that need not to be stored in the database
>
> why not add them by hand in the XML file?

Authors don't know, and don't want to know about SGML/XML concrete
syntax.

Franck.