Adjusting width of table cells, and hanging indents.

Subject: Adjusting width of table cells, and hanging indents.
From: Jonathan Keeling <jmjk2-dsssl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:05:44 +0100
I am trying to produce tex output using JADE, and want to produce two
columns of output, with specific elements appearing in either the left or
right column.  I have the left column left aligned, and the right column
right aligned, and currently the columns are fixed widths...
However, I would like it if they could adjust to best fit the width of the
text in either column, so as to avoid unnecessary line breaks¸ however if I
just leave the cell width blank, it appears to put everything in the cell on
just one line, and ignore the table-width specification

The code I have at the moment is:

    (make table
      table-width: %table-width%
      (make table-column
	width: 0.5cm)
      (make table-column
	;width: (* 0.6 (- %table-width% 0.5cm))
	)
      (make table-column
	;width: (* 0.4 (- %table-width% 0.5cm))
	quadding: 'end)
      (make table-row
	(make table-cell
	  column-number: 2
	  (make sequence
	    (with-mode *left-col*
	      (process-children))))
	(make table-cell
	  column-number: 3
	  quadding: 'end
	  (make sequence
	    (with-mode *right-col*
	      (process-children))

Also, when I attempt to make a hanging indent inside the table cell, by
specifying a start-indent, and a negative first-line-start-indent, it seems
to ignore his, and just have all the lines flush to the left.

Thank you for any help

--
Jonathan.Keeling@xxxxxxxxxxx	http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~jmjk2
"This argument was so simple and so specious that it spread right round the