Re: Newbie Qs

Subject: Re: Newbie Qs
From: droyter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:08:38 -0400
Faber wrote:
"The part I can't wrap my head around is this: I don't want my
curriculum to look like a Linux HOWTO, e.g. with a rule across the
bottom with "Previous", "Next", etc.  I want it to look like, well, the
M$ curriculum.
If you haven't seen that layout, at the top of the page there is a
bulleted list of things to discuss or a picture/drawing of some sort.
Below that is text discussing the topic (I think this would be an
"article" in Docbook, no?). How is that done? I assume that (the
layout) is the job of the DSSSL style-sheets."

I'm not to well suited to answer the question. I just didn't want to
see a new DSSSL user walk away in frustration. I've been working
with DSSSL to output RTF so things are possibly a little different in
going to HTML.

I think what you may want to look into is either headers and footers
within a make-page-sequence or you want info on making tables. I
think make-page may only apply to RTF and the like. But if it
works for HTML, you can define what links you want in the header
of the page instead of the footer.

If that isn't possible, then chances are you can make a table that
will display at the top of the web page and contain the links. The
table gets closed and the body copy would appear beneath.

I'd say it might help to look at some web pages with an appearance
that you are going for. Then look at the basic structure of the code.
You can tell the DSSSL to make your formatted document look the
same way.

It is hard at first to get the results you want out of DSSSL. But
once you get rolling, you can see that it will do a great deal.

Keep trying!
Darrell