Re: Newbie Qs

Subject: Re: Newbie Qs
From: Faber Fedor <revf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:19:00 -0400
--- droyter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm not to well suited to answer the question. I
> just didn't want to
> see a new DSSSL user walk away in frustration. I've
> been working
> with DSSSL to output RTF so things are possibly a
> little different in
> going to HTML.

I was under the impression that the output is the output and it really
doesn't matter what format you end up in.  After looking over the code,
I can see I was wrong there! ;-)

> I think what you may want to look into is either
> headers and footers
> within a make-page-sequence or you want info on
> making tables.

I was playing with tables today.  Couldn't make them do what I want, but
the more I read, it seems I have to write multiple filters or
"customization layers"  as Norm called them in his book. :-(

I'll look into the header/footer thingie later this week.

Oh, and I find the make-page-sequence in the stylesheets directory and
Norm's directory, right?

> If that isn't possible, then chances are you can
> make a table that
> will display at the top of the web page and contain
> the links. The
> table gets closed and the body copy would appear
> beneath.

I think you might be missing what I want to do.  If I run my pages
through the "make-slides"  filter, the table only will be the only thing
on the page and it will appear in LARGE print (it's a slide, get it?),
if I run it through the "make-student-manuals" the table will appear at
the top of the page  in normal size print with lecture notes below it.
And then when I run it through the "make-instructor-manual" I get
everything the student manual has plus instructor notes and question
answers.  And I want it in RTF, HTML, PDF, TeX, etc.  And I want it by
Friday! :-)

> I'd say it might help to look at some web pages with
> an appearance
> that you are going for. Then look at the basic
> structure of the code.
> You can tell the DSSSL to make your formatted
> document look the
> same way.

That last sentence is what I'm trying to figure out at the moment. ;-)