Re: (dsssl) Substring manipulation?

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Substring manipulation?
From: Jany Quintard <quintard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:15:07 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, David Perrin wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Trying to use the substring function but having a tough time determining the
> function to use to calculate the start position.

Excuse me David, but I did not check properly what I wrote in my previous
mail.
The find-first-char is NOT want you want. The proc can anyway give you
ideas. For your problem, you can try the function hereafter (untested).
This one returns -1 if the string does not contain any colon and the index
of the position of the first colon otherwise.

(define (position-of-colon strParam)
  (let (max (- (string-length strParam) 1) ;; first index is 0

    (let loop ((strParam strParam)
               (index 0))

      (if (> index max)   ;; colon is not in the string
          -1
          (if (equal? (string-ref strParam index) #\;)
              index   ;; found
              (loop strParam (+ 1 index))))))) ;; looping further
Jany

     Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author
           and do not necessarily represent those of IBM.