RE: (dsssl) DSSSL primer?

Subject: RE: (dsssl) DSSSL primer?
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:14:15 +0100
janusz.prusaczyk@xxxxxx wrote at  6 Sep 2001 15:38:33 +0200:
 > > There's no point comparing DSSSL and PostScript.
 >
 > Why? Wouldn't it be possible to write Postscript backend for OpenJade?

Yes, but you can't write a PostScript "stylesheet" to process your
SGML or XML markup to process and produce pages the way that you can
with DSSSL or with TeX macros.  (Actually, you could theoretically do
it with PostScript, but I contend that no-one in their right mind
would do so.  (I could have said the same about TeX if it weren't for
David Carlisle.))

PostScript is a page-description language.  DSSSL is a stylesheet (and
semantics and transformation) language.

 > What is this "Unicode: A Primer"? An electronic publication or printed
 > book?

A book.  I wrote it.  See http://www.menteith.com/unicode/primer/.

Regards,

Tony Graham