Re: (dsssl) Fancier title pages

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Fancier title pages
From: Patrick M Doane <patrick@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:43:54 -0500 (EST)
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for responding -- I'm very familiar with the DocBook DTD, but not
too familiar with what I can do with the DSSSL flow objects. Norman's
stylesheets for title pages are flexible, but they seem fairly plain to
me.

Here are some specific things I've tried to do, but not been able to
accomplish very well:

  - Locate an element at a particular location on the title page. For
example, the title should always appear 3 in from the top and the author
should always appear 4 in from the top.  I've been able to simulate this
behavior with spacing before/after table rows, but this technique is
fragile as I need to update the spacing when the number lines changes.

  - Produce a vertical rule along the left side of the page. Again, I've
been able to simulate this with attributes on cells, but it breaks when
the size of content in the cells change.

So, basically I'm interested to see title pages rendered by other
stylesheets than the Modular Stylesheets.  The interest is purely in the
presentation and not about what content is appropriate to include.

Thanks for any help.