Re: (dsssl) Properly numerated biblography references

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Properly numerated biblography references
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:24:37 -0600
Quoting Pavel Tolkachev <pavel.tolkachev@xxxxxx>:
> What I want to acheive is to continue using meaningful abbreviations
> in <biblioentry> ids, like "Ulman96" but for references to look as
> [1], [2], etc. in the output, where the number is the sequential
> number of the <biblioentry> in the <bibliography>. It is useful when
> you want to add something into long bibliography and the order in
> which the entries appear there is important for you. Then you do not
> want to use id like "1", "2" etc. For example, if you insert 50th
> element in 100-element bibliography you would have to re-number 50
> last elements manually. Also, meaningful references in the source is
> easier for authoring. But for the output document, there is a
> requirement to show references as [1], [2], etc.

   You should be able to use <citation>, as that would seem to be the
correct tagging.  You are right, though, that you'd need to customize
the stylesheet to achieve what you want.  I assume you're familiar
with the "customization layer" technique with the Docbook stylesheets.
   The easiest thing to do, I think, would be to copy the (element
citation) rule (in print/dbinline.dsl) to your customization layer and
modify the part that generates the text between the brackets.  In the
stylesheets, that's done by calling the ($charseq$) procedure, which
basically just puts the content of the <citation> there.  You'd want
to modify that to instead put the number of preceding siblings of the
matching <biblioentry>, plus one.  If you're not sure how to do this,
let me know.
   Hope this helps...

-Brandon :)