Re: (dsssl) Heresy

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Heresy
From: Paul Tyson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 21:02:49 -0600
4/4/03 11:53:36 AM, tmcd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>It has occurred to me that DSSSL is, well, not as popular as
it ought
>to have been, and that its functions have possibly <whisper>
been
>superceded by other systems</whisper>.

The first proposition is correct, the second is not.  You can
do *some* of what DSSSL does with XSLT.

>I use DSSSL for transforming XML into RTF and HTML in
particular.
>Is it possible to perform such functions of DSSSL using XSLT
or other
>technologies?

You should know that you can program any special-purpose
solution you want, but for specifying tree transformations in a
standard way using a general-purpose language there is nothing
close to DSSSL.  People are "satisfied" with XSLT because they
don't imagine anything better (to paraphrase Ted Nelson), or,
like Ken Holman, they have to follow the money.

In the last couple of years I have chosen to use XSLT because I
didn't want to saddle my clients with the superior, but more
abstruse DSSSL technology.  I am now convinced that only by
severely limiting your expectations will you be satisfied with
XSLT.  I made the mistake of not scaling back my imagination to
suit the technology.

>My apologies for my heretical question.

Truth fears no heresy.  Nor is truth coincident to popular
opinion.  I think among those who know DSSSL and XSLT (not just
the syntax, but the larger scope and purpose), XSLT is a
regrettable, but practical, second choice by a good measure.
There is a large domain of problems for which XSLT is suitable.
There is a much larger domain for which DSSSL is not only
suitable, but essential.  Few people are actually working on
those sorts of problems, so they don't recognize what they're
missing.

>--
>Tim McDaniel, tmcd@xxxxxxxxx; tmcd@xxxxxxxxxx is my work
address

http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dssslist

Paul Tyson, Principal Consultant          Precision Documents
paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     http://precisiondocuments.com
      "The art and science of document engineering."