[dssslist] Integrating MathML with DocBook using openjade

Subject: [dssslist] Integrating MathML with DocBook using openjade
From: Ryan McDougall <ryan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:22:06 +0900
Firstly, excuse me if this is the incorrect list for such a question. If
so please kindly direct me to the correct place. I searched the archive,
and could find one mail that seems to be my problem exactly,
unfortunately that question was never answered:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/dssslist/archives/200402/msg00001.html

I am attempting to get DocBook and MathML working together on a Fedora
Core 5 system. My knowledge of XML technologies isnt strong, so
hopefully the answer will be painfully obvious.

- DocBook dtds, entities, OpenJade, and MathML fonts are all installed,
and I am able to produce standard DocBooks easily.
- I downloaded dbmathml.dtd and I am able to create a PDF from a DocBook
that includes MathML tags.

However, MathML is transformed into red plain text only. I am assuming
this is the error condition produced by the default styles sheets, and
in order to solve the problem I need to supply the correct stylesheets
to OpenJade.

Is this a correct analysis? If so, what style sheets do I apply, and how
to I apply them? Thank you very much for your help. Below is some
hopefully useful debugging info.

The output of the docbook2pdf command:
Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/xml-docbook.cat
Using
stylesheet: /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14/docbook-utils.dsl#print
Working on: ~/Code/docbook/test.xml
Done.

My document header (test.xml):
[taken from http://xml.web.cern.ch/XML/goossens/dbatcern/]
<!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM
  "dbmathml.dtd"
[
 <!ENTITY LaTeX "LaTeX">
 <!ENTITY TeX   "TeX">
 <!ENTITY PTeX  "PassiveTeX">
 <!ENTITY xmltex "<application>xmltex</application>">
]>

Modified dbmathml.dtd:
<!ENTITY % docbook SYSTEM
"/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.3-1.0-30/docbookx.dtd">
%docbook;
<!ENTITY % mathml SYSTEM "mathml2.dtd">
%mathml;

Current working directory: