Re: [dssslist] Integrating MathML with DocBook using openjade

Subject: Re: [dssslist] Integrating MathML with DocBook using openjade
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:43:43 +0100
For the sake of future googlers, do you have a link to a XSL based
solution?

The XSLT stylesheets for docbook are I think far more actively supported
these days thn the dsssl stylesheets
http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/DocBookXslStylesheets

for mathml it's a question about what you want to do with it, dsssl has
limited support for mathematics, and my stylesheets targeted that,
XSL-FO has no support for mathematics, mainly because the relevant
working group thought (probably correctly)  that it would essentially
just duplicate presentation mathml. It's legal just to put the mathml
namespaced elements inline in the XSL:FO output of your
stylesheet. Whether that works, depends whether your fo processor
supports mathml, some do. If it doesn't you'll need to convert the
mathml to something else. If you FO processor supports svg there are
publicly availabel xslt stylesheets going from mathml to svg, or as a
final fallback you would need to typeset the mathml fragments to images
and then include the images in the FO if nothing else is supported by
your system.

David