[jats-list] Why is archiving JATS with a DOI not common?

Subject: [jats-list] Why is archiving JATS with a DOI not common?
From: "Castedo Ellerman castedo@xxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:10:11 -0000
I'm new to JATS and a bit confused why archiving JATS with a DOI is not common. I have yet to see an example actually. The closest example I have seen is eLife publicly storing JATS XML files in github.com/elifesciences/elife-article-xml

Are there any examples of JATS being archived with a DOI?

I believe many in this forum would agree that a DOI should refer NOT to a manifestation of an article (in FRBR Group 1 terms) but rather the work or expression. https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/rationale.html reads:
B "The intent of the Archiving Tag Set is to provide a standardized format in which to preserve the intellectual content ..."

So shouldn't it be common that DOIs reference the intellectual content in the form of JATS XML?

As it stand now, it seems most DOIs to scientific articles are actually IDs to manifestations at journal websites which are optimized for the business interests of the publisher.

Thank you in advance if someone can help me understand why JATS XML DOIs are not common.

-Castedo