Re: [jats-list] Why is archiving JATS with a DOI not common?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Why is archiving JATS with a DOI not common?
From: "Castedo Ellerman castedo@xxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 19:54:19 -0000
On 4/29/22 03:51, Nikos Markantonatos wrote:
There are literally tens of millions of scholarly articles encoded under JATS Archiving DTD which also possess a DOI. I know that Atypon is hosting a good portion of them and they all possess a DOI. So, yes, JATS XML DOIs are extremely common as you would expect.

Does this address your question?

Thank you Nikos! I did not know Atypon is hosting so many JATS encoded articles. Very impressive! I have zero experience in the commercial publishing industry so these insights are very helpful, thank you.

In hindsight, my question was a bit ambiguous. Here's a less ambiguous question:

Is there any DOI registrant that resolves a DOI to the JATS XML of the article with PubMed ID 29618526? (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29618526/)

This is an article published by the Royal Society which is a customer of Atypon. As a DOI registrant, the Royal Society resolves their doi:10.1098/rsif.2017.0387 to their website from which a PDF can be downloaded (and the article is also encoded in HTML).B But as best I can tell, the Royal Society makes zero effort to have that DOI, or any other DOI that it manages, resolve to a JATS XML file or package.

Am I mistaken? If I am mistaken, what is the DOI? Is there any example of any DOI registrant that manages article DOIs to resolve, for the long-term, to a long-term archived JATS XML file or package?

My questions are not about whether somebody at some point in time encoded the article into JATS or somebody else might be storing JATS on some server. It's about the relationship between JATS and the responsibility and good faith effort by a DOI registrant for a long-term DOI to resolve to the digital object they archive long-term.

Thank you,
B  Castedo Ellerman