Re: [jats-list] AW: preformatted text in BITS 2.

Subject: Re: [jats-list] AW: preformatted text in BITS 2.
From: "Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 22:22:03 -0000
The <preformat> element seems like the best choice to me. While the BITS
spec says that it is "typically" displayed in a monospace font, no one
requires you to do that.B  You could even use @preformat-type on
<preformat> to distinguish your use case since this attribute might be
useful to others who are using your BITS XML in the future, perhaps in
aggregate with BITS XML created by others.

More generally, though, I'll note that BITS is designed for STM books,
not incunabula catalogs.B  You might find the Text Encoding Initiative's
guidelines to be a better fit your needs.

Kevin

On 11/10/22 7:26 AM, Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Allowing break within p has been discussed many times in multiple
> working groups. It will not happen, as Gerrit indicated below.
>
> There are occasions when we have needed to have a break in the middle
> of a paragraph or similar structure that does not support the break
> element. In those cases, we use a Unicode soft return, &#x2028;
>
> Bruce
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 6:05 AM Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex
> gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     Or try to convince the BITS working group / JATS standing
>     committee that
>     <break> be allowed in <p>, at least in BITS and in green JATS.
>
>     But I'm afraid this train has already left the station long ago. This
>     has been discussed before, and it has been rejected to add <break> to
>     the allowed children of <p>.
>
>     One approach without customizing BITS for your purposes is maybe
>     to add
>     a @content-type or @specific-use to the Impressum <p> that will
>     map to
>     something like style="white-space: pre-line" in HTML.
>
>     Or you could turn your Impressum <p>s into <title> elements
>     proper. In
>     these you are allowed to use <break>. You can further influence the
>     rendering of the (pseudo-) titles and the ToC generation by using a
>     specific @sec-type on the containing <sec>.
>
>     Or try to convince aforementioned committees to add the @style
>     attribute
>     to <p> and to document how it should be used (for literal CSS, as
>     in HTML).
>
>     Gerrit
>
>     On 10.11.2022 10:08, Buehring, Franziska
>     franziska.buehring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>     > Hi Denis,
>     >
>     > Yes, Ibd agree with your approach as BITS isnbt really suited
>     for that
>     > kind of content you have to work with workarounds.
>     >
>     > <preformat> would be a bad choice, <verse-group> too as they have a
>     > different meaning.
>     >
>     > To have different <p>s would naturally come with a new line.
>     Another
>     > option if you wanted to keep them within one <p> would be the
>     use of
>     > <named-content> and @content-type (but I donbt think thatbs
better).
>     >
>     > Looks like an interesting project by the way.
>     >
>     > Best
>     >
>     > Franziska
>     >

Ledereinband
>     auf
>     > Kartondeckeln (braun, Kalb, 18./19. Jh.) mit flC$chig
>     eingefC$rbtem Papier
>     > (grC<n), Linien-BlindprC$gung sowie Titelschild mit GoldprC$gung
>     auf dem
>     > RC<cken</p>
>     >
>     >B  B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B  <!--
leere Elemente bitte nicht
>     > C<bertragen -->
>     >
>     >B  B B B B B B B  <p></p>
>     >
>     >B  B B B B B B B B <p></p>
>     >
>     >B  B B B B B B B  <p content-type="position-10">UnvollstC$ndiges
Exemplar: