Re: [niso-sts] Encoding Bibliography

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Encoding Bibliography
From: "Dorothée Stadler doro@xxxxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 13:35:46 -0000
Hi Tommie,
Thanks for your answer on this, which I thought made sense when I read it
first. Now that Ibm trying to implement this logic however I find myself
with the challenge that there is no way to enter text in between references.
In our standards it often happens that the Bibliography is bsplitb into
functional sections, see this example:

--------------------------------------
 <> <> <>Litteratur <>
For dokumenter som det er gjort normative referanser til i teksten, se punkt 2
Normative referanser.

 <>Norsk Standard <>
NS 8405                      Norsk bygge- og anleggskontrakt

NS-EN 536                  Veibyggingsmaskiner b Asfaltblandeanlegg b
Sikkerhetskrav

Annen litteratur <>
ICAO A14                    (International Civil Aviation Organization): Annex
14 - Volume I - Aerodromes design and operations. Third edition. July 1999

Statens vegvesen        HC%ndbok 025, Prosesskode 1 - Standard
arbeidsbeskrivelse for vegkontrakter. Hovedprosess 1-7. Vegdirektoratet. Oslo,
2007

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

So how would I encode this with using <ref-list>? Should I then create a total
of three <ref-lists>, the first one without any references in them to hold the
first part, and then two more bchildb <ref-list> elements for the Norsk
Standard and Annex literature parts?

I have to be honest, I donbt quite see the usefulness of using <ref-list>
directly rather than having a section with type bbiblb and having my
<ref-list> elements in there. Obviously since ISO (and presumably CEN) are
doing it this way too I would prefer to align, but donbt see how I can
accommodate cases like the aboveb& Unless it is possible to change NISO to
allow text and other elements between <ref> elements? Is there a reason why
this was prohibited in the first place?

Thanks for your continued help, I really appreciate how fast this group always
responds!
Have a nice day.
DorothC)e

DorothC)e Stadler

Rathenower Str. 38
10559 Berlin
Tel: +49 1525 840 85 93
doro@xxxxxxxxxxx

<niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello DorothC)e b
>
> It will take this community some time to develop best practices.
>
> It seems to me that the most semantically specific markup available is
generally best. Since there is an element (<ref-list>) specific to your use
and it is available in the location you want to put the bibliography, I
suggest that you should use it.

> <sec sec-type=bbiblb> is available for those instances where there are
bibliographies in other locations in the document. For example, some very
large standards have bibliographies at the end of each major section/chapter,
and I have heard that there are some standards that have bibliographies in
other places in the body of the text.

> b Tommie
>

>> On Sep 27, 2018, at 12:34 PM, DorothC)e Stadler doro@xxxxxxxxxxx
<niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hello everyone,
>> I have a question about how to best encode the Bibliography as part of the
back matter.
>> To me, the most logical thing to do is use <sec> with @sec-type=bbiblb.
Now I see in the NISO documentation of <sec> that it should be used as
follows:
>> 	b" Within the back matter (<back>) to tag material that has not been
explicitly named as one of the other back matter components, that is, it is
not named as an annex (<app>), an acknowledgment (<ack>), a bibliography
(<ref-list>), etc.

>> I am now confused. Should the bibliography always be encoded using
<ref-list>, as it is also currently done by ISO using the ISOSTS? If so, why
do we even have an @sec-type=bbiblb?