Re: [niso-sts] Encoding Bibliography

Subject: Re: [niso-sts] Encoding Bibliography
From: "dal dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:01:01 -0000
<niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By asking the bwhy is it the way it isb question I was looking for
something I might have missed on why itbs better to encode Bibliography as a
ref-list directly rather than using sections,

Oh, sorry. I, at least, was not sure which "why is it this way"
you meant.  Bibliographies <ref-list>s should always be made up
of ref list entires <ref>s and <ref>s should be made up of
citations or notes. That is semantics.

But whether you have titled, multi-part <ref-list>s or
sections with titles containing <ref-list>s is entirely up
to the publisher or SDO. One is not "better" than the other.
Either practice can be handled by NISO STS, and each
SDO may choose differently. It does not matter for
retrieval, and either can be made to LOOK the way you want.

The XPath  ref-list/ref/mixed-citation or
           ref-list/ref/element-citation

will always find you the citations.

I agreed with Tommie that I saw your examples as multipart
reference lists, with titles. But it you tag

    sec
      title
      sec
         title
            ref-list
      sec
         title
            ref-list

instead, that is fine.

Tommiebs important point, in my view, was that the items you
called paragraphs were, in fact, headings. That too, is semantics.

If you believe that you have graphics and lists and paragraphs
and other named objects at the same level as your reference lists,
by all means put those lists into a section, so you can add all that
material.

If you think you have OTHER objects than headings and
<ref>s inside your reference lists or inside your reference,
that are neither citations nor notes, I would like to see
an example. Several folks, when we were putting this together,
said they had such, but then provided examples just like yours,
which is either a head (title) followed by a <ref-list>
or maybe just a headed <ref-list>.

NISO-STS (and all the JATS-based languages) try very hard
to capture most of what we see in the wild, and we have
not been shown what you describe. Not saying it does not exist,
I have just never seen it.

Does that help?

bDebbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      https://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron