Re: XSL in IE 5.0, or is it?

Subject: Re: XSL in IE 5.0, or is it?
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:00:37 +0000
Hi.

Firstly, the old MSXSL I believe is dead, it was a technology preview
intended just to cover basic ideas. I beleiev all references to MSXSL as it
was are to be removed from the MS site within the next couple of weeks.

The current MS implimentation one would *hope* is the MS tracking of the
current XSL WG state at present ::shrug:: anybody know for sure? Got to be
somebody wired to the WG around here somewhere.

As for the difference is examples betweeen W3C and MS... they're entitled
to different implimentation philosphies, looking at ASP it's not suprising
MS favour the approach they do, as it most closely resembles standard ASP
implimentation (they've got to see XSL as an ASP threat).

Personaly I prefer the WC3 methodology for XSL although curiously I like
the MS approach to ASP templates ::shrug:: odd discrepancy in my tastes.

As far as where things are going, I like your good self, can't be sure. I
do know that the last time I looked at the XSL spec, editorial comments
made it clear that the like of <xsl:process-children /> was likely to
change in the direction that we now see in the MS implimentation of
<xsl:apply-templates match="..." /> ...so maybe MS does know something we
don't.

As for what one should do given the current state of affairs? It's all
still draft so anything one does is a gamble. At this stage I see XSL as
something to play with in preparation for the final product, I'm not
planning on commiting any real development to XSL until it's ratified and
the dust settles. Hopefuly MS will the final XSL spec into IE5 when they
come about. I think they'd be nuts not to, especialy with with NS showing
sudden zealous standards commitment.

If you want to see funky stuff, take a look at what MS is doing with
XML/CSS in IE5 custom tags... a little bit of this, a dash of that :)

I'm normaly quite a fan of what IE has been doing with IE, but my current
fear with IE5 is that although I like the new features, that mixing them up
with XML/CSS/XSL is going to produce a mish-mash of standards freely
intermixed.

Anyway, drifting off topic here so I'll shut-up.

Regards
     Guy.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 11/20/98 06:48:18 PM