RE: XSL in IE 5.0, or is it?

Subject: RE: XSL in IE 5.0, or is it?
From: Gabriel Paiz III <gpaiz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 20:14:38 -0800
Chris Lilley wrote:
> But I was really surprised to see, in the XSL stylesheet distributed
> with the XML98 conference proceedings, an xsl:script element with
> Javascript in there.
>lets hope that the final IE5 release is fully conformant, with any
>proprietary extensions clearly marked out as such by being in a
>different, non-xsl namespace.

whether or not xsl:script comes in under a different namespace, I can
see a need for it in some transformations.  I'm not sure where this
practice came from, but in some of my documents, I have a COLWIDTH
attribute that has '*' appended to the end of a number to represent a
percentage of the width of a table. This won't work if I move it over to
an HTML element that has a WIDTH attribute that expects a '%'.

<xsl:template match="COLSPEC">
   <xsl:element name="COL">
      <xsl:attribute
name="WIDTH"><xsl:eval>makePercent(this,'COLWIDTH')</xsl:eval></xsl:attr
ibute>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:script language="Javascript">
function makePercent(oNode, sAttrName)
</xsl:script>

from James Robertson [jamesr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]:
>Another step in Microsoft's process of "de-comoditizing" open
>standards ...

They might just be anticipating a developer need.

from Elliotte Rusty Harold [elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]:
>but the examples of simple XSL
>stylesheets in the standard and the examples in IE 5.0 on Microsoft's
Web
>site seem to be based on diametrically opposed philiosophies of how to
>transform XML to HTML. The standard seems to be based on transforming
XML
>elements according to a series of rules.  IE 5.0 seems to use a
completely
>different scheme based on embedding XML data in an HTML template.

The 2.7.7 example from the draft seems pretty similar to the
apply-templates example on the web site.