RE: What about IE5

Subject: RE: What about IE5
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:13:15 +0000
Hi Didier.

Aye I have a link... http://www.guy-murphy.easynet.co.uk

At the moment from an FO point of view you might find the window and menu
HTCs interesting.

At present the extended linking is verey crude, with assumptive processing
built into the menus (not good). But funny you should be looking at this
area because I am at this moment trying to work out the best way to deal
with extended linking implimenting the links as HTCs :)

I hope to move the sites linking over to a half respectable use of extended
linking by the end of the week-en, and to have documented dowloads
available for the sites source.

You opinions in this matter would be *very* welcome.

I looked initialy at XLink, but I don't feel it offers enough to the Web
designer. I want to be able to actuate multiple link from the one point,
and to taget those actuations. So I loosly looking at something like...

               <xl:link type="extended" title="A really interesting
document">
                    <xl:loc name="doc" ref="test.xml" role="data" />
                    <xl:loc for="doc" ref="#documentHolder" role="target"
use="replace" />
                    <xl:loc for="doc" name="navStyle" ref="test.xsl"
role="style" />
                    <xl:loc for="navStyle" ref="#navHolder" role="target"
/>

                    a link
               </xl:link>

In an ideal world this might be held as an external resource and would be a
reference to a link ID so....

               <xl:link type="extended" for="#testLink" title="A really
interesting document">
                    <xl:loc name="doc" ref="test.xml" role="data" />
                    <xl:loc for="doc" ref="#documentHolder" role="target"
use="replace" />
                    <xl:loc for="doc" name="navStyle" ref="test.xsl"
role="style" />
                    <xl:loc for="navStyle" ref="#navHolder" role="target"
/>
               </xl:link>

               <xl:anchor name="testLink">a link</xl:link>

But I'm not sure I want to impliment this as in the browser it would mean
assigning an onClick handler to the link element from the HTC,
which would kill any prexisting onClick handler. Might not be a problem,
I'm not sure. I just don't like a component being that arrogant.

(although as I write this I think I might have figured a way around this).

Anyhow, I'm babling. I hope to have something more interesting this
week-end. Along with hopefuly Jon Bosak's religious works
up on the site, and another article.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 03/25/99 04:59:17 PM