Re: Creating Hyperlinks using XSL and XML

Subject: Re: Creating Hyperlinks using XSL and XML
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 09:56:15 -0400

At 11:23 AM 4/6/1999 +0100, Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>A simple solution for this is to simply wrap you result from the root
>template in <XMP> tags and then you get to see what the result tree looks
>like.

Thanks for the tip, Guy. Only one question: What the heck is an <XMP> tag?
Is this some MS convention for putting IE5 into debug mode or something?

>As a side note I prefer the idea of seeing the original XML document from
>source view. It's the XML document I've just
>downloaded, not the result tree in the case of client-side XSL. I want to
>see what I've downloaded. One expects to see the HTML document they've
>downloaded too, not the CSS decorated one that can be grabbed from
>.outerHTML

I guess this is a difference of perception as well as preference. "What
I've downloaded," to me, means "what is causing my browser to behave like
this." This would be the result tree, even though the URL of the document
being displayed is the "pure" unadorned whatever.xml.

I don't think this is necessarily a bug in IE5. The View Source menu choice
perhaps ought to provide a branching selection, though:
View->Source->Source Tree and View->Source->Result Tree. Or something like
that. ("Source tree" and "result tree" are probably too much like jargon
for casual visitors to an XML/XSL-driven site.)