RE: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)

Subject: RE: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 11:20:47 -0400
At 11:15 AM 4/6/99 +0100, Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>This area is of great interest to me, and entering this arena with the
>advent of XML I find myself lacking the SGML background.
>
>Have you any pointers to reference work on SGML catalogs?

>From my perspective, I've found the 'SGML background' in this field to be
less than edifying, providing a different set of tools than the ones I
actually need.

John Cowan's done an XML catalogs piece that provides an XML implementation
for translating Public identifiers to system identifiers, available at:

http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/XCatalog.html

The OASIS-Open SGML Open Catalog (SOCAT) document is at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/html/a401.htm

Unfortunately, I think both of these leave XML in the same broken place it
was before, with extra facilities for referencing identifiers.  The problem
isn't that documents can't reference the tools needed for processing in an
intelligent way - the problem is that those references shouldn't be
implemented on a document-by-document basis.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com