RE: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)

Subject: RE: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)
From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:47:49 -0400
> The manifest is a special purpose XML instance that contains
> no content, just a collection of links. I also imagined it to be recursive
(you
> could point to other manifests, too).

This is good, but I think you should not disallow packing the manifest and
the
data together. That was the advantage of the proposal I helped Don with.
It allowed mixed push and pull modes (and yes, we also allowed recursion).

As I said, I have prototyped such a scheme using the TR9401 catalog syntax
(and found lot's of bugs in it's grammar in the process), and I most
certainly
*would* like to see something similar in XML + XLink + XPointer.