Re: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)

Subject: Re: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 11:08:37 -0400
At 03:19 PM 4/7/99 +0100, Guy Murphy wrote:
>I'm swinging to the point of view that the XML
>document should in an ideal world the XML document should know zero about
>anything outside of itself, being purely a data-set.

Glad to hear it!

>And the issue of manifests, while very appealing, I feel might be best
>solved from XLink/XPointer. If this where rich enough then an
>XLink/XPointer resource could constitute a manifest. I'm not sure what the
>advantages of another proposal in this area might offer except to confuse
>an already confusing area.

XPDL is intended to be an application of XLink/XPointer, though given the
potential instability when they revise XLink/XPointer for the first time in
a year, I've pretty much stuck to using href - I don't _think_ they'll
change that bit.

>I confess to a heavy personal bias here, and am merely expressing
>preference, not making assertions of "the one true path", but would we be
>better addressing the shortcommings of XLink, and see if the W3C can't be
>given a kick.

I've tried kicking, but they don't seem to appreciate it.

>People have explained to me why the W3C need to take such an unholy amount
>of time over these standards comprising of a handful of tags, but I seem to
>have forgotten. Is there a mailing list that XLink falls within the remit
>of? (xml-dev?) At the moment it seems to suffer from a stunning lack of
>imagination.

The list you want is xlxp-dev, archives at
http://www.fsc.fujitsu.com/hybrick/xlxp-dev/maillist.html.  You can
subscribe easily at Elliotte Rusty Harold's fine mailing lists page, at
http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/mailinglists.html#107.  It's been quiet lately,
but there's lots of room for discussion.  XSL expertise would be
appreciated there as well, since the relations between XLink and XSL (and
XLink and CSS) have yet to be worked out.

I'll be bringing up XPDL there as soon as I find the time...

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com