RE: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)

Subject: RE: XPDL (was Re: XML is broken)
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:50:32 -0400
At 11:05 AM 4/8/99 +0100, Guy Murphy wrote:
>I must go back and look at RDF again. I thought it's intent was, well, to
>describe resources. And so far it would appear that XPDL is intended to...
>describe resourced. I would say that the is at the very least a degree of
>overlap here :)

RDF does describe resources - in an extremely general way.  It doesn't
provide any specific tools for connecting particular resources to
documents, and has very little vocabulary.  Similarly, XLink describes
resources in a very general way, though it has a slightly different take on
behavior.  (And yes, it does feel like XLink and RDF have significant
overlap.)

XPDL is an application of these tools, not a reinvention.  XPDL describes
particular relationships between documents and resources and does so with
its own vocabulary, one that I expect will be described with both an RDF
schema and an XML DTD that takes advantage of XLink.  It'll be some work
getting there (and I'm really wondering what the next generation of XLink
will look like), but that is very definitely the intent.

At the same time, I'd like to keep it intelligible to mere mortals.  We'll
see how all of this goes.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies