RE: Grand Unification Theory (XSL/XPointer)

Subject: RE: Grand Unification Theory (XSL/XPointer)
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:51:21 +0100
Hi.

I too have been thinking on this matter, specifically examining why I seem
to prefer the idea of using XSL-like pattern matching to point, and came up
with the conclusion that as I understand it at the moment (I *need* to do
more reading on XPointer, wanted to check a few things but W3C.org seems to
be down at the mo), XSL-like pattern matching gives me flexibility as to
what I want to point at, especialy if the nodes I want to point at aren't
continuous and adjacent. Does XPointer allow for this type of pointing?

What if I want to point at all <sub-title> nodes in a document, the
desirablity of which can be seen if I want to use these sub-titles as
anchors for "back to top" links.

In the DOM we have document.getElementsByTagName('sub-title') to offer
similar functionality, but this quickly dies if we're wanting to select by
attribute.

It would seem to me that XSL-like patterns that returned a flat collection,
would be nice for pointing, and would continue consistently from current
emerging standards.

Cheers
     Guy

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 04/14/99 03:59:47 AM