RE: XFO Mapping...

Subject: RE: XFO Mapping...
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 15:52:07 +0100
Background.

In
Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL)
Version 1.0
World Wide Web Consortium Working Draft 16-December-1998
Para 3.1 reads:
<quote>
3.1 Introduction
The approach that we have taken in constructing this draft was to evaluate
the requirements for print and online documents and established a target set
of capabilities. This set of capabilities reflect the long-term goals of
XSL.
</quote>

Note the emphasis on print and on-line documents.

In
Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) Specification
W3C Working Draft 21 Apr 1999

1. Introduction and Overview reads
<quote>
XSL is a language for expressing stylesheets. Given a class of structured
documents or data files in XML, designers use an XSL stylesheet to express
their intentions about how that structured content should be presented; that
is, how the source content should be styled, laid out and paginated onto
some presentation medium such as a window in a Web browser or a set of
physical pages in a book, report, pamphlet, or memo.
</quote>

This most recent draft uses the phrase <note>some presentation
medium.</note>

Question:

How to extend this to cover
Audio
Tactile media?

Tracability.

the requirement document http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-XSLReq-19980511
states
<quote>
Accessibility

Aural stylesheets
Support for audio (aural) stylesheets.

XSL must support accessibility mechanisms
Additional accessibility support will be defined.
</quote>

Perhaps this is the addition we might ask for?

HTH, regards, DaveP