Re: multiple output files/getting command-line parameters in XT

Subject: Re: multiple output files/getting command-line parameters in XT
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:08:49 +0000 (GMT)
Miloslav Nic writes:
 > It is true. But, it works. I have used a mixed strategy. Format and
 > transform with XSL and do file management with Perl. I am trying to
 > build quite a complex site with simple and free tools and XSL just does
 > not give  you the options.  After all, it is clearly stated, that XSL(T)
 > is not a complete programming language. But it is magnificent formatting
 > language.

I suppose its a moot point whether you exhance XSL's natural abilities
by putting a layer over the top of Perl etc, or by extensions in XSL
itself. While I have no objections at all to your site's mix-and-match
strategy, I do think that the (really rather simple) requirement I
have set myself (splitting a big file into bits and linking them
properly) ought be almost all done in XSL. It does only need the one
extension ("switch output to a new file").

I now bowed to the inevitable today, and put a single line of "sed" in
my Makefile to set the name of the `master file'. Now it all works a
treat!

Sebastian