RE: SAXON 5.0 is available

Subject: RE: SAXON 5.0 is available
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:14:15 -0000
> Can someone suggest a clean method of maintaining stylesheets so that
> they are useable by both xt and saxon, with respect to
> extensions?

SAXON supports all the mechanisms in the spec for dealing with extensions it
doesn't recognize, for example if you use xt extension elements in your
stylesheet then it will handle

<xt:document>
  <xsl:call-template name="the-work"/>
  <xsl:fallback>
    <saxon:output>
    <xsl:call-template name="the-work"/>
    </saxon:output>
  </xsl:fallback>
</xt:document>

of if you prefer you can use xsl:if test=element-available() or
function-available().

Whether xt supports these features I don't know, if it doesn't now then I'm
sure it will in due course.

As I've said before, if someone wants to start an initiative to define a
library of "standard extensions" then I'll be happy to ship a SAXON
implementation of these; meanwhile James Clark and I have been studiously
copying each other's good ideas for a little while now so at least there is
some functional compatibility.