doctype on HTML document with xt and saxon

Subject: doctype on HTML document with xt and saxon
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:29:00 +0000 (GMT)
Am I being very dense? Given this stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet
  version="1.0"
  xmlns:xt="http://www.jclark.com/xt";
  xmlns:saxon="http://icl.com/saxon";
  extension-element-prefixes="saxon xt">

<xsl:output method="html"
 doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

I expect to see a DOCTYPE before the <html>. When I run xt, I get

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

and when I get saxon I get

Neither of which is what I wanted...

Is this a bug in Saxon, or my stylesheet? is the xmlns: in the xt
output a bug in XT?

Under some circumstances which I have not yet pinned down, saxon gives no
output whatsoever. Of course, the stylesheets work with xt, but I
cannot work out whether its because xt was forgiving my bad
stylesheets, or saxon has a bug.... oh well, I'll try to get a minimal
case. But in the meanwhile, the DOCTYPE above???

Sebastian