Re: [xsl] Netscape XSL and ' charcter

Subject: Re: [xsl] Netscape XSL and ' charcter
From: "Joerg Heinicke" <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:00:36 +0200
I can not understand, why so many try to do client transformation at the
moment.

To express it in XSLT:

<xsl:for-each select="browser">
    <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="@name = 'IE' and not(starts-with(@version, '6'))">
            <xsl:text>MSXML 2 / WD-XSL: problem</xsl:text>
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:when test="@name = 'Netscape'">
            <xsl:text>no real support for XSLT</xsl:text>
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:when test="@name = 'Opera' or @name = 'Konqueror'">
            <xsl:text>no support for XSLT until now</xsl:text>
        </xsl:when>
    </xsl:choose>
</xsl:for-each>

and so on ...

And from Netscape 6 you can't demand real XSLT. NS 6.0 completely not,
because the corresponding Mozilla Version was 0.6. NS 6.1 (Mozilla 0.9.1)
was the first version with rudimentary XSLT support. NS 6.2 (Mozilla 0.9.4)
is only 3 months newer and of course not perfect. Even with the current
Mozilla 0.9.9 I have a few problems, mostly with styles. So wait for Mozilla
1.0 or (a few weeks later) NS (I assume 6.3) for better XSLT support.
Otherwise it's not possible to get nice transformation outputs. Maybe this
page helps: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/. You can read here:

"But it works in IE". Bad argument. IE has a different understanding of XSLT
than Mozilla. IE serializes your output and parses it again, so it suffices
that stuff *looks* fairly well to work. Mozilla takes the tree as generated
as result. BIG DIFFERENCE, trust us.

At
http://developer.netscape.com/evangelism/docs/articles/xslt/netscapexsltTOC.
html you can find the supported and not supported XSLT elements, functions,
... (in theory).

So wait for Mozilla 1.0 or next NS and you will have less problems. If you
want to try already now, use at least the current version of Mozilla and not
one, which is a half year old.

Regards,

Joerg