Re: [xsl] something I'd really like in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] something I'd really like in XSLT
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:38:39 +0000
On 1/23/07, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Carlisle wrote:
>> I remember my lessons correctly, the precedence
>> is calculated by means of priority,
>>

> be careful of terminology: there is "import precedence" and "priority"
> both of which affect which templates are used if multiple templates
> match, but they are not directly related.
>
> "import precedence" just relates to the stylesheet module that the
> template is in, not to the form of the match pattern.
>
> "priority" relates to the explict priority attribute, or if no such
> attribute exists, to the default priority for the match pattern.

Ah, yes, thanks for making it more clear, I was mixing them up.

I think I meant: the "priority that is affected by the import
precedence". But that isn't a correct statement either. Perhaps this:
"The import precedence only overrules a certain match if the priorities
(default or explicit) are equal".

Import precedence happens first - you can have a template with priority 10000 but it won't be used if a template with priority -1 has a higher import precedence - which can be just because the stylesheet it lives in was imported after the stylesheet containing the template with the higher priority. It's a wonderful gotcha...