Re: [xsl] the future of xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] the future of xslt
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:23:35 +0100
On Sun, Jun 22 2008 16:55:17 +0100, colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>     Tony> As a data point rather than a statistic, the libxslt
>     Tony> (xsltproc) XSLT processor is edging closer to the point of
>     Tony> starting a XSLT 2.0 version [1].
> It doesn't sound to me, after reading the thread, as if a libxslt 2.0
> will happen.

IMO, it doesn't (quite) matter if the current discussion doesn't lead to
running software, much as I would prefer it if it did.  The question of
whether there would be a libxslt for XSLT 2.0 has been asked several
times over recent years, and each time it comes closer to being answered
with "yes".  If this surge were to falter, it would still mean that the
next surge of stated interest could result in a viable project.

Of course, it may instead be that some other open source C XSLT 2.0
processor appears, but if it did, it might well be advised to also have
a libxslt-compatible API, given the Perl, Ruby, PHP, C++, and Python
bindings for libxslt that are in use today.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2