Re: [xsl] HTTP-Header charset different to charset encoding statement in XML-Declaration

Subject: Re: [xsl] HTTP-Header charset different to charset encoding statement in XML-Declaration
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:07:41 +0000
> only a quick question. I've to handle xml in the body of an HTTP response.
> The problem is that  http header can specify an encoding different from the
processing instruction, like here:

> HTTP-Header:

>  1: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
>  2: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>  3:      "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
>  4:
>  5: <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; xml:lang="de" lang="de">
>  6:   <head>
>  7:     <title>HTTP != XML</title>
>  8:   </head>
>  9:   <body>dv|DV\_</body>
>  10: </html>
>
> Which encoding has precedence? The http header or the processing
instruction?

I had a similar issue a while back - here's the thread:

http://markmail.org/thread/fsx3a3f225wwmphz

I think you use the content-type if it's present, if not you read the
first few bytes of the content in ascii looking for the prolog and use
the encoding specified there, finally falling back to utf-8 or utf-16.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com