Re: [xsl] Good quality XSLT course in the UK?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Good quality XSLT course in the UK?
From: Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:30:34 +0200
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:40:16 +0100
> Fabre Lambeau <fabre.lambeau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This message is for the UK readers among you.
> > My company has (finally) decided to send a couple of people onto an
> > XSLT course so that I'm not the only one with any working knowledge of
> > the technology (which we are using more and more often). They've given
> > me the job to find a relevant course. Unfortunately, I've learned all
> > I know about it (allegedly not that much) by myself over the years,
> > and a good amount of reading (thanks, Michael Kay, Jeni Tennison,
> > Miloslav Nic and countless others!), so I don't really know...
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good XPath/XSLT course somewhere in the UK that
> > would make a non-programmer confident enough to be able to read /
> > alter existing XSLT stylesheets, and build their own (simple) ones?

I'm a little worried about the adjective "non-programmer" in here. A full-blown
XPath/XSLT training that doesn't take longer than a week is bound to have
contradictory entry conditions. (And I don't think any curriculum would
seriously consider XSLT as a "first language".)

I'm not saying that these non-programmers won't be able to learn what
is necessary
to alter and write *simple* stylesheets. But there's a not to be neglected risk
that being exposed to a week of "*all* of XSLT/XQuery/XPath" (quote from a
very good course's description) will frustrate and confuse them, rather than
teach them the basics.

If I were in your position, I'd take time out for a one-day workshop,
showing them
the basics and letting them try for themselves, which should give you
an idea whether
they can weather a heavier dose.

-W