Re: [xsl] Good quality XSLT course in the UK?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Good quality XSLT course in the UK?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 07:53:33 -0400
At 2010-08-27 12:11 +0530, pankaj.c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a good XPath/XSLT course somewhere in the UK that
>> would make a non-programmer confident enough to be able to read /
>> alter existing XSLT stylesheets, and build their own (simple) ones?

Little bit [OT], but I hope moderator will not mind, me asking in this
thread.  Do we have similar kind of options in India, I mean some good
institutes, training programs etc?

I still have to find such professional institutes, which organize similar
courses at the corporate level or individual level.

In the last 8 months I've delivered my hands-on five-day XSLT/XPath/XQuery twice in Noida, a suburb of New Delhi. Both were corporate deliveries at full rate (Dave already mentioned my classes are more expensive than other classes; we fix our rates every April and they don't change over the year) with very full classes. Very successful deliveries. Based on the success of the first delivery the same customer flew me back to do the second delivery to a larger class.

But that customer had a commitment to train their staff quickly for a couple of projects and incurred the necessary expenses. They saw immediate savings in the progress of their projects. When I've tried to convince other companies in India they balk at the prices. Any talk with individuals regarding the fees for a publicly-delivered class in India with open subscription quickly ends because of the rates. Not so in other countries as I've had the privilege to teach my classes privately and publicly around the world. The next confirmed class is March in Prague after XML Prague 2011 ... there will likely be others.

There is a wide range of training available from very capable members of this mail list. Though I may be expensive, there are others on this list who don't charge as much. My class is the one cited by Wendell as being comprehensive by teaching each and every element and attribute and keyword in all of XSLT, XPath and XQuery (what should be left out?). Other classes delivered by members of this mail list are also very professional. I cannot comment, though, on the commodity training courses delivered by volume training companies ... I don't know if their instructors are day-to-day practitioners or simply one lesson ahead of the students. Find the industry participants who have made a reputation for themselves with the technology who teach this stuff and you'll probably get more out of the class.

A number of members of the XML Guild http://www.XMLGuild.org offer training classes. We'll be in the exhibit hall at the XML 2010 Conference in Philadelphia in October for those who are attending that event.

So, yes there is training available to companies in India. Is it competitively priced? Yes for elsewhere in the world but likely no for the marketplace in India. What is your company's commitment to get the most in-depth training possible? Covering everything in a single class ensures you have the reference material and exercises from a single class rather than taking a suite of beginning, intermediate and advanced classes.

I think it is exciting to see the level of interest in such training in India ... but I don't think the industry's experts will be teaching much there except for private gigs by companies willing to pay for the expertise.

I hope this helps.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/i/