Re: [xsl] RE: Are there things missing in XSLT which force people to use, say, Java to process XML?

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: Are there things missing in XSLT which force people to use, say, Java to process XML?
From: Max Toro <maxtoroq@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:32:36 -0300
> (1) XSLT is a complete programming language, but doesn't support
>    most things most developers need to do.  (Graphics, networking,
>    relational database access, parsing HTTP headers, generating RSS
>    feeds, peer-to-peer networking, memory management & caching, thread
>    management, MIDI programming, the list goes on and on and on).

General-purpose programming languages also don't support those other
things, like talking to a database or sending email. There is no "send
email" or "update database" keyword/expression in Java/C#, you use the
language extensibility to accomplish those things, such as class
libraries. In XSLT you use extension functions/instructions, URI
resolvers, result document handlers, etc. You could do everything in
XSLT/XPath, you just need more libraries.
--
Max Toro