Re: [xsl] RE: Are there things missing in XSLT which force people to use, say, Java to process XML?

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: Are there things missing in XSLT which force people to use, say, Java to process XML?
From: Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:59:40 +0200
Some questions, out of ignorance, but driven by curiosity. I have
addressed a few point that (I think) are required for programming in
the large. ("Large" has no upper bound, has it, Ken ;-) )

On 29 October 2010 22:43, G. Ken Holman <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> XSLT absolutely was designed for "programming in the large",

Is there any way that I can write a stylesheet module, to be imported
by others, so that I expose the functions and templates I consider
being part of the "published interface" but forbid the use of certain
local templates or functions (which would permit me to change them
without breaking other code)?

If there is a module with templates matching some specific XML
hierarchy (<x><y z="">...</</), is there a straightforward way of
reusing that for a structurally identical XML hierarchy?

If some XML structure has to be changed, which mechanism (except
regression testing) detects reliably that some module handling this
XML structure isn't fit to do so any more?

W3C has defined XML, XML Schema and XSLT, but there is no way (I know)
of aligning a data definition (e.g., a ComplexType) with an XSLT
module defining operations on such an entity. Or is there?

XSLT is (understandably) focussed on the data types and structures
found in XML and XML Schema. There is no way (again: I know of) for
defining really new data types in a way comparable to, say, Haskell.
Or is there?

Cheers
Wolfgang