Re: [xsl] A compelling use case for employing binary trees in XML processing?

Subject: Re: [xsl] A compelling use case for employing binary trees in XML processing?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:49:06 -0800
> I understand that binary trees can be used to sort data. But XSLT already has <xsl:sort>, so using binary trees for
> sorting isn't a particularly compelling use case.

I guess you mean "binary search trees* -- other kinds of binary trees
such as the heap data structure do not have the complete set of their
items sorted.

A binary *search* tree (and I mean *balanced* binary serch tree) has
more useful properties than just that it one of its serializations
presents the values in sorted order.

A binary search tree  allows searches and insertions with efficiency
of  O(log(N)). In contrast, an insertion in an array or in a sequence
is O(N) -- the whole array needs to be copied (even the non-functional
array) and the initial part of a sequence (the sub-sequence before the
insertion point) of a persistent (functional sequence) needs also to
be copied -- this is on average N / 2 -- so again we have O(N) here.

The deletion in a balanced binary serch tree  is also O(log(N)).

This makes the balanced binary search tree quite good even for
implementing dictionaries and sets. A disadvantage for such binary
search tree -based  implementations is that the value-space must have
total ordering (while other implementations of a dictionary or set
require only an equality (equivalence) operation).

Cheers,

Dimitre.