Re: [xsl] Replacing = with == and ===

Subject: Re: [xsl] Replacing = with == and ===
From: "Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 14:02:52 -0000
To provide you with some unconstrained feedback, I'd like to let you
know that

(1) proposals to changes to programming languages are best made during
their development phase, and for XPath and XQuery, that's over (until a
next revision, if any);

(2) the least you can do is to spell the language(s) correctly, moreover
the addition of the version you are targeting is essential

(3) any proposed change to the syntax should be unequivocally
expressed the way syntax is in the original language document, i.e.,
using EBNF or some such notation, with semantics being expressed
in clear English,

(4) a proposal for a change should outline the pros and cons, providing
use cases and the sound rationale, based on experience and a
solid knowledge of programming languages.

Clearly, to change a programming language that has been around
for several (more than five) years, with widespread acceptance in
industry and dozens of tools basing their implementation on the
established specs, in a fundamental aspect, even if it be a single
operator, is ludicrous. As you have written that you aren't looking
for  a response, or expecting a wholehearted no, this raises the
additional question: cui bono? You've just wasted the time of the
people following the list.

-W

On 01/08/2014, L2L 2L emanuelallen@xxxxxxxxxxx