Re: [xsl] where to look for xsl folk..

Subject: Re: [xsl] where to look for xsl folk..
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 18:58:38 -0000
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Christopher R. Maden crism@xxxxxxxxx
> On 06/19/2016 04:17 PM, adam adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> We are working with docx files that need to be translated into HTML. The
>> docx files are chapters of scholarly content that constitute a book. We
>> need to translate the docx into a tidy HTML version with direct
>> translation of semantic elements but with the elimination of styles.
>
> There are a few tools to do this kind of thing.  The Public Knowledge
> Project is working on integrating them into a pipeline; itbs not ready
for
> prime time *quite* yet, but itbs getting there, and the individual
> components may be useful to you on their own.  Check out <URL:
> https://github.com/pkp/xmlps > for source and more info.

Indeed there are a number of different such initiatives some of them
including XSLT and so on topic. :-)

(In fact didn't Eliot recently mention his thing for a Word -> DITA pathway?)

Whether using XSLT (and on topic) or not -- converting from Word (what
I like to call a 'paintbrush' application) into strong markup is going
to be a hard problem, largely because its boundaries are not in an
obvious place, plus they move. It will always be contested what is in
scope vs what is not, and there will be a tradeoff between generic and
specialized capabilities.

Hard doesn't mean impossible, however, and what would be nice would be
a toolkit that could be adapted for local use....

Cheers, Wendell

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables