Re: [xsl] Nesting a flat XML structure

Subject: Re: [xsl] Nesting a flat XML structure
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 20:16:48 -0000
Hi,

Yes, what Graydon says (multiple passes).

Here's a simple pass that wraps lists recursively based on a function
that determines a list level for an element in a flat sequence:

https://gitlab.coko.foundation/XSweet/XSweet/blob/master/applications/list-promote/mark-lists.xsl

It can be followed by a pass to make lists for the wrappers (in this case HTML):

https://gitlab.coko.foundation/XSweet/XSweet/blob/master/applications/list-promote/itemize-lists.xsl

Because the wrapper is abstracted, either/both the XSLTs can be
modified separately.

Using XSLT 3.0 they can be chained together (poor man's pipeline) --
or of course you can Do It With Modes:

https://gitlab.coko.foundation/XSweet/XSweet/blob/master/applications/list-promote/PROMOTE-lists.xsl

However (as I think Graydon also implies), frequently the requirement
is so far away from the generic, that it is easier to code it to the
case.

Cheers, Wendell

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 3:02 PM Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 06:52:59PM -0000, Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx scripsit:
> [snipped examples]
> > though so keeps the "ul" lists separated from the sibling "p" elements, have
> > so far not understood why a list belongs into a preceding paragraph.
>
> I have so far found that taking a word processor format flat sequence of
> elements and properly nesting the lists takes interpreting the source
> for level, labelling the list with that level (generally via disposable
> attribute), and then performing a distinct nesting pass where the final
> list item of a list "eats" the immediate follow-sibling lists if the
> list has a lower level-label than this list.  Especially when you have
> complex list items (tables, multiple paragraphs, notes...) it's
> generally just easier to approach the problem as a sequence of passes
> over the content.
>
> -- Graydon

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables