Re: [xsl] Nesting a flat XML structure

Subject: Re: [xsl] Nesting a flat XML structure
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 20:39:40 -0000
Hi,

The cool thing about something like XSweet (ahem, cough) is that even
though it doesn't produce exactly what you want, it produces something
that has what you need to make what you want, and is way way easier to
work up into what you want, than what you had before. (If you can get
my drift. :-)

Indeed this is a regular pattern, you can see it also in Gerrit's
Transpect, which produces an intermediate format before dispatching it
in several directions:

https://www.le-tex.de/en/transpect.html

Pipelines and modular architectures mean you can mix generic tools
with the fine-tuning you also need. The key is finding a "solution"
that actually fits your problem.

Cheers, Wendell

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:27 PM Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 08:16:55PM -0000, Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit:
> > However (as I think Graydon also implies), frequently the requirement
> > is so far away from the generic, that it is easier to code it to the
> > case.
>
> I don't know if I implied that but I certainly agree with it!
>
> Fully general eat-the-wordprocess-format puts you up against multiple
> decades and hundreds of programmers and multiple policy changes.  If you
> write for the content you've got, that can sometimes be bad anyway, but
> at least it's just this content.
>
> (I can generally write a not-especially-awful-docx converter in a week;
> if I had to write something fully general for docx I would not be done
> yet, and no one wants to wait that long for their content conversion.)
>
> -- Graydon

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables