Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?
From: "Norm Tovey-Walsh ndw@xxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 16:14:28 -0000
> I think these functions should not be deterministic.

Informally, and going all the way back to 1.0, I think the XSLT view is
that the world doesnbt change while the transformation is running.
Consider, for example, that fn:current-dateTime() is fixed!

This simplifies *a lot* of things.

Imagine the traditional publishing scenario where youbve got some
modules that format the chapters and some modules that format the table
of contents, and some modules that format the indexes.

Suppose that each one of these modules does an fn:doc() to get at
metadata or even at parts of the document. If you admit the possibility
that fn:doc() could return different results, then you have an
essentially indeterminate publishing system. What do you get if you
format a document? It depends.